My husband used to be the best cookie maker in the family, but I think I have finally gotten the hang of baking and am getting closer to surpassing his delicious cookies. This fact must seem strange considering he cannot eat them, but he learned baking at the feet of his mother and inherited the gene for it, so even though he can’t taste them, he sure makes them. I still have yet to try making the sugar cookies, but I am confident that I can do it. When it comes to the basic chocolate chip cookie I have stuck with the classic Toll House recipe for years. I love it, and so does my family, but I wanted to try a new recipe. Growing up it was my sister who was the family cookie maker. She ever got the phrase, “If Sara doesn’t make ‘em, I won’t take ‘em” from a friend of mine from the neighborhood.
My tips for fantastic cookies:
A.) I enjoy browning the butter to bring out the rich flavor of the butter, however the next time I will definitely return to my normal combining the butter with the lard. The flavor is incredibly rich and buttery, very delicious, but I think I will tone it down a bit the next time.
B.) Always bake the cookies on an air bake cookie sheet, on parchment paper. I have also found that using the baking stone for cookies really helps them cook evenly. Ever since I figured out the best way to cook them my cookies suddenly became miraculously delicious. Now I have been working on the recipes to make the ultimate cookies because who doesn’t love a good cookie?
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
12 Tbs. butter, browned*
1/2 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. light brown sugar
1/2 C. dark brown sugar
2 C. + 2 Tbs. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
12 oz. dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- *Brown the butter by melting it in a pot on the stove over medium heat. Stir it constantly, watching for it to stop foaming. It should turn a darker color and begin to have a nutty aroma. Take it off the heat before it burns and allow it to cool before beating it with the sugar. For a good explanation of how to brown butter go here.
- Sift together the flour, salt and soda.
- Beat the sugar and brown butter together. Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Add in the flour mixture and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 11 minutes. They might need to be slightly patted down when they come out of the oven.