I love Sweet and Sour chicken. This is a great and easy meal that I can make with everything I have on hand at home without having to find a Chinese restaurant that makes it the way I like it. Melskitchencafe.com has been a great resource for delicious recipes, and she has a yummy version of this dish, which I have slightly adapted.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
2 Chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1/2 C. cornstarch
salt and pepper to taste
Canola oil for frying
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. white distilled vinegar
4 Tbs. ketchup
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Salt and pepper the chicken to taste.
- Dip chicken pieces into the cornstarch and then the eggs.
- Put chicken into hot oil and cook until the outsides are brown, not fully cooking the chicken.
- Place browned chicken in a casserole dish.
- Mix ingredients for the sauce together and pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to make sure sauce is evenly coating the chicken.
- Serve over white rice.