After watching an episode of “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” on the Food Network my husband and I were inspired to make a Kugel. Alton Brown recommended a sweet Kugel, but it looked so basic and easy to make we decided to research recipes and make up our own savory Kugel. You could add anything you wanted, or subtract what you don’t. The basis for the recipe is egg noodles, eggs, cottage cheese and sour cream. After that it’s really up to you. Here’s what we did for ours.
Grilled Chicken Kugel
1-2 chicken breast, grilled with Roasted Garlic Seasoning (McCormick’s), cut into bite size pieces
12 oz. bag of extra-wide egg noodles
1 C. Daisy sour cream
1 C. 4% milk fat cottage cheese
4 large eggs
8 oz. fontina cheese, grated
1 stick of butter, melted
1 large onion, minced
salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 360°. Not a usual temperature, but the recipes said either 350 or 375, so my husband went for somewhere in the middle of the 2.
- Saute onion in the butter until they are soft.
- Boil the egg noodles 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Beat eggs. Stir in all the other ingredients.
- Add in cooked egg noodles.
- Pour mixture into a 13 x 9 greased baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until firm.