I love this salsa. That is all I can think to say about it. Sorry, no stories today. My daughter had a large amount of dental work done today, which was very stressful and exhausting since everyone had to get up early to get there, and that means my little guy has been off of his nap schedule and cranky because his own teeth (still not showing yet) seem to be bothering him. At least my husband made this salsa today and bought the chips; perhaps that will make this day a little bit better. You should make it, too, and you will not be disappointed.
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
1 lb. tomatillos
1- 2 serrano chilies*
1 head of garlic, all cloves removed
1 large white onion, chopped in large pieces
1/3-1/2 C. chicken broth
olive oil, to drizzle
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to broil on Hi, moving the rack 1-2 inches from the heat source.
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos and rinse under warm water to take away the stickiness.
- Lay tomatillos, serranos, jalapeno, all the cloves of garlic in the head (not completely peeled), and onion on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Broil for 5-7 minutes, until slightly charred, turning over the tomatillos and peppers halfway through for even charring. Watch out- it gets pretty smokey.
- After they are cool enough to handle peel the garlic and pull the heads off of the chilies.
- Blend in a blender with the chicken broth, making it as chunky or smooth as you desire.
- Enjoy with a large bags of tortilla chips!