Who among us has not had a huge craving for french fries at one time or another (or every day) and not been able to get them? Well I have finally found a recipe that makes potatoes straight out of the bag taste like french fries from your favorite fast food place. I will try cutting them larger the next time, but there is something darling about these tiny potato sticks that taste like I bought them from a fast food joint, right after they came out of the deep fryer. While they aren’t exactly a “health food”, these fries must be healthier than if I bought them at a restaurant; and if they aren’t at least I know exactly what is in them!
Homemade French Fries
3-4 large Russet Potatoes
Ice cold water (cold water with ice cubes)
- Pour the oil to the depth of 1″ in a saucepan. Heat to 350°.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into desired size. I made them small this time since I was trying Ina Garten’s Matchstick Potato recipe. I sliced off a small piece on one side of the potato so that it was easier to cut, having one side that was flat. I sliced it around 1/4″ per slice lengthwise. Then I made two piles and sliced those lengthwise again (also around 1/4″ pieces), and then the whole stack in half. My husband requests that they are bigger next time.
- Put the potato pieces into ice cold water to soak for a few minutes. Dry on paper towels. Make sure they are as dry as possible because water causes the hot oil to splatter.
- Cook the potatoes in the oil until golden brown, around 5 minutes. This process will require all of the potatoes are cooked in a few batches. Using a slotted spoon make sure the potatoes are cooking evenly, stirring them occasionally.
- Remove with the slotted spoon when they are finished cooking and place onto a plate with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and desired seasoning right away since the oil will help it stay on when they are fresh from the pot.
Barely adapted from Ina Garten’s Matchstick Potatoes.