I never knew just how lucky I would be when I married my husband. Not only because he is the most wonderful man in the world, perfect for me in every way, but because his mother is a fantastic cook/baker and has a plethora of recipes. This is one of the great recipes that I married into. My husband’s sugar cookies are the best- he did get the recipe from his mother after all.
My Mother-in-Law’s Super Sugar Cookies
1 stick of butter
1 C. lard
2 C. granulated sugar
2 tsp. almond flavoring
4 eggs, one at a time until blended
5 C. flour
2 tsps. Baking powder
2 tsp. salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°.
- Cream the first 4 ingredients together until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the mixer.
- Sift Together dry ingredients and then resift 2 more times.
- Add dry ingredients to cookie batter in the Kitchen Aid and blend well.
- Chill for 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Roll out to ¼” thickness onto a lightly floured surface.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
*This recipe is doubled. Cut in half if you do not want so many cookies. We just LOVE frosted sugar cookies out of the freezer. They keep very well in the freezer, and last a long time.
Sugar Cookie Frosting
1 stick butter
4 C. sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. almond flavoring
½ tsp. kosher salt
whipping cream to consistency
food coloring if desired
- Cream butter, salt and flavoring until light and fluffy. Mix in powdered sugar.
- Add whipping cream a little at a time until proper consistency. Frost and decorate as desired.